1 de janeiro de 2020

When books speak of books



Isak Dinesen, Thomas Hardy, Somerset Maugham...
The book I was reading was this book I took out of the library by mistake. They gave me the wrong book, and I didn't notice it till I got back to my room. They gave me Out of Africa, by Isak Dinesen. I thought it was going to stink, but it didn't. It was a very good book. I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot. My favorite author is my brother D.B., and my next favorite is Ring Lardner. My brother gave me a book by Ring Lardner for my birthday, just before I went to Pencey. It had these very funny, crazy plays in it, and then it had this one story about a traffic cop that falls in love with this very cute girl that's always speeding. Only, he's married, the cop, so be can't marry her or anything. Then this girl gets killed, because she's always speeding. That story just about killed me. What I like best is a book that's at least funny once in a while. I read a lot of classical books, like The Return of the Native and all, and I like them, and I read a lot of war books and mysteries and all, but they don't knock me out too much. What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though. I wouldn't mind calling this Isak Dinesen up. And Ring Lardner, except that D.B. told me he's dead. You take that book Of Human Bondage, by Somerset Maugham, though. I read it last summer. It's a pretty good book and all, but I wouldn't want to call Somerset Maugham up. I don't know, He just isn't the kind of guy I'd want to call up, that's all. I'd rather call old Thomas Hardy up. I like that Eustacia Vye.
J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye (1951)

3 comentários:

  1. Bem conseguida a linguagem simples que expressa o pensamento de um homem que se confessa iliterato mas que se interessa por livros escritos por bons autores...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Adorei este livro e como eu gostava de escrever assim.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. António Eduardo Marques14 de janeiro de 2020 às 09:08

    Li The Catcher in the Rye no contexto da disciplina de Inglês no meu 12.° ano, no início dos anos 80, e adorei. Ainda hoje está entre os meus livros favoritos.

    ResponderEliminar